Age affects quality & quantity of eggs. But thanks to specialized cryopreservation technique i.e., freezing.
Freezing eggs can preserve them without damage & store them for up to 10 years without affecting quality.
Reasons why women choose to freeze eggs:
- Before going in for chemotherapy or radiation for cancer or surgery. Freezing healthy eggs before the treatment can give her a chance to have a baby once she has recovered.
- Thalassemia, sickle cell disease, lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis where bone marrow transplantation or suppressive therapy is given, fertility preservation is an option.
- Family history of early menopause: where there is increased risk of early menopause.
- Avoiding problems associated with older eggs. Elderly women have higher risk of birth defects, genetic diseases, miscarriages due to degradation of egg quality with increase age.
- Delay child bearing to pursue other goals- like you can’t take time off work, due to carrier demands, want to continue education.
In these cases fertility preservation is an excellent method.