Why its better to transfer Frozen Embryos FET
Recurrent miscarriage IVF as treatment
Dos Donts after Embryo transfer
Blocked Tubes How IVF can help
Thin Endometrium its importance in Infertility
Myths Facts about IVF
IVF in PCOS
I have PCOD What are my treatment options
Male Infertility Semen Analysis & much more
IVF failure Reasons behind it
IVF is a treatment where eggs & sperms are fertilized outside the uterus in laboratory & the embryos which are formed are transferred inside the uterus of female. To increase the probability of successful pregnancy, the practice is to transfer 2 or more than 2 embryos, resulting in multiple pregnancy. Chances of twins in normal pregnancy is ≈ 6% while with IVF reaches up to 25%.
What are different types of multiple pregnancy?• Identical twins: look alike & are of the same sex.
• Fraternal twins: do not look alike & does not necessarily are of same sex.
• Triplets & higher order e.g., quadruplets etc.
Risk associated with multiple pregnancies:
MATERNAL• To develop diabetes.
• To develop hypertension.
• Heavy bleeding due to placental abruption.
• Preterm delivery.
FETAL• Fetal loss.
• Intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR).
• Due to preterm delivery increased cost of NICU admission & stay.
• Developmental delay due to preterm delivery in extremely low birth weight babies.
How to identify multiple pregnancy?• Ultrasound examination.
• Doppler heartbeat count.
• High levels of HCG.
• Increased morning sickness.
• Chronic fatigue.
• Increase in average pregnancy weight.