When the cells that line the uterus or endometrium, grow in places outside the uterus such as pelvis called endometriosis.
People may experience:
• Pain areas: in the lower abdomen, lower back, pelvis, rectum, or vagina
• Pain circumstances: can occur during sexual intercourse or while defecating
• Menstrual: abnormal menstruation, heavy menstruation, irregular menstruation, painful menstruation, or spotting
• Gastrointestinal: constipation or nausea, vomiting
• Abdominal: abdominal fullness or cramping
Endometriosis affect fertility
It is a common cause of infertility, as severe endometriosis can distort the tubes and ovaries. It may also block the release of eggs by causing scar tissue or cysts.
Laparoscopic surgery is a minimally invasive treatment for endometriosis, as well as other gynaecological conditions such as fibroids, uterine or tubal problems. The surgeon looks inside the abdominal cavity through a small incision in the navel to confirm endometriosis and can then treat it at the same time.
Surgery may be the only treatment required to increase natural fertility if endometriosis is severe. It can also increase the success rate of advanced reproductive treatments such as IVF.